Tuesday 23 September 2008

Scheherazade

Scheherazade! I love Arabian Nights stuff, and collect copies of the books, having editions going back to about 1840, my favourite being Edmund Dulac's and Andrew Lang's editions. A recent Character of the Week on Concept Art was to interpret her. My small brain decided she should be like a 1940's film star, al la Hedy (not Hedley!) Lamaar. So with inspiration from Robert McGinnis this is what I produced. It's not actually finished yet, so I'll ost the final soon.

4 comments:

Shreya said...

Woah, gorgeous! The leopard+tiger skin is a nice touch. I'm mostly impressed by how rich the image looks even without the standard gold/purple/wine fabric combination that's so prevalent in Orientalist Art ( I'm assuming that was a inspiration?)
Post the final please, can't wait to see how perfect it would be!

Anonymous said...

Nice representation. Killer work, man!

Craig Elliott said...

Nice man, even unfinished. sometimes that loose stuff on the outside atually makes the subject pop even more! I have the McGinnis with the animal prints up in my studio right now! I like yours just as much.

Keep up the great work!

-Craig Elliott

Craig Elliott Gallery

Yaghesh said...

hi,
I'm an Iranian. you know that "scheherazade" is a persion name. "schehera" in Persian means "City" , and "zade" means "born" ...
so, we have another book in persian,similar to "one thousand and one nights", but it's name is "one thousand and one days".
in my Blog, you can find some pics of this book, also the suite of "Scheherazade" by "Andre Hossin".

Regards,


Blog:
http://www.asha.blogsky.com/1388/10/11/post-90/

the suite of "Scheherazade" :
http://www.4shared.com/file/185596225/7b2d6e3c/08_Track.html