Sunday, 30 December 2012

Cinderella

Something a little seasonal, Cinderella, compositionally inspired by Millais' 'Cinderella'. (Well, she's sitting down with a broom, so I suppose that's similar!)

There's a little story behind this one: when I was a kid there was a print of Millais' Cinderella on the wall of the house where my mother grew up. I loved it, so this is indirectly my homage to that pic. Millais was interesting as he was a founder member of the Pre-Raphaelites and one of the first 'fine' artists to get wise to how his work could feature in advertising.




2 comments:

Gordon Napier said...

Very lovely, although there is something slightly dark (and perhaps proud and knowing) about your girl's look. It gives a 'young witch', as much as a Cinderella vibe. Like it muchly anyway.

Don't believe i'd seen that particular Millais before, so I appreciate being informed about it, by the way.

Aly Fell said...

Thanks Gordon!

Yes, the Millais piece is one of his Victorian children images. The other image on my mother's wall was Little Mrs Gamp, which I wasn't as taken with. I think my aunt now has the original prints of both...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3082/2805105452_6fca61ec4c.jpg