Friday 23 January 2009

Judith and Holofernes

Well, I might as well update... I recently entered the latest CGSociety Challenge, which was 'Steampunk Myths and Legends'. I'm a bit of a Steampunk nut I suppose. Funny really. I was always into historical based Sci-Fi, HGWells, Jules Verne etc, and writers from the Fin de Siecle period. Wilde, MRJames, Rider Haggard, Bram Stoker and Conan Doyle and many late Victorian and Edwardian authors. Their work has long informed my imagination. And then a few years ago along came Steampunk; a name for things I was kind of into anyway. For the challenge I eventually settled on Judith and Holofernes. A bit Biblical for me, or should I say 'Catholic', but I'd always loved the story as it featured a strong woman with motives other than just 'doing it for the man'! And of course the paintings of Artemesia Gentileschi, Caravaggio and Klimt. Well I never finished the version I set out to, and edited it to get something produced for the end of the challenge. Personal things also edited my time...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luuurrrves it!! Nice capture of the theme and good luck on the Challenge.
I'm crazy about Steampunk, too. Hey, know of any good Steampunk themed books out there? I've been looking for a good one.

OYO! said...

Holy cow ! Love your style man ! Tha light falling on the dress is just supa class ! And thanks for I didn't know these characters ! Happy days ! Good luck for the contest

swburdine said...

That is perfect I new it was Judith and Holofernes before I even saw the title. This has to be the best modern interpretation of this story I have ever seen. Your work is rockn thanks for sharing!

Darkling, Lady Speirling said...

Oh, excellent! I have long loved Gentilischi's version. Yours too is quite quite well done. Though it could do with as much spurting motor oil as Artimisia's has blood. ;)

Tristan Alexander said...

I hate to ask, but is this digital? I suspect it is but would be WAY impressed if it were traditional media.

Suanna said...

I have absolutely adored this image, since about May of 2009 when I first saw it. I saw that some of your work is at inPrint. Will Judith be going there? I would love a print of this work.

Aly Fell said...

Suanna - Thank you! I have them for sale directly from me if you like? Just email me at alyfell (at) darkrising.co.uk