Sunday 30 November 2008

Old Pictures

Some more family images to do with my father. I've been discovering so many since he died. I know they won't really interest visitors to this blog, but I hope you get an inkling of a 'life' from them.


This is my grandfather Arthur with my dad about 1940ish. I love this picture because they look so happy together.


Arthur, my grandfather on his wedding day to Florrie about 1932.



My great grandfather on the Trinchera Ranch in Colorado.


Dad, the 'typical American kid' in California 1942.

Dad 1956. He's 22 here, pre-beard and glasses!


Arthur and my step grandmother Barbara, Arthur's second wife in India 1944, both smoking. They all did then! I like this one of Barbara. She looks 'very of the time'.


Dad is the one bottom left with the aviator sunglasses, with a bunch of mates in 1951.


Finally, my great uncle Malcolm Elwin to whom my father was very close, in his study. Malcolm smoked about 500 Capstan Full Strength a week. I distinctly remember the smell of his study: old books, tobacco and the smell of Eve's cooking from the kitchen.

5 comments:

Peter Underhill said...

Aly, I like looking at old photographs like this.
The one of your dad in 1956, for the briefest moment suggested a very bonkers hairstyle, but then I realised it was only a tree.

Daestwen said...

When my great grandmother died, I poured over the photographs that she left behind. We lived a long way apart so it wasn't until that moment, looking at photos where I couldn't even recognize her, that I realized that I never really knew her.

I think this is a really nice tribute to your father, Aly. The photos are all really lovely, and I have to agree that I like the first one especially. There is a lot of love in that photograph.

poming chu said...

Hey Aly... You actually look a lot like your grandfather! I mean minus the comparisons from a different era and your long flowing hair:)

These are great photos.

Talli said...

im just a random visitor.
I was deeply touched reading about your dad.
your art is beautiful.IM in awe

chanee said...

I think these must be useful to you.
แจกสูตรรูเล็ต ฟรี
Thank you for your interest.